Monday, February 21, 2011

Hitch 2 Begins

Snow....what?

I showed up at the Fish and Wildlife office early Monday morning to discover the front door was locked. Apparently it was a federal holiday. Who knew? Eventually however, I was joined by the Jeffs: Gorgeous Geoff, my supervisor, and Handsome Jeff, my fellow intern (please note: the epithets are not mine). It was determined, after some deliberation, that Jeff would be joining me on the trip up to Hopper. I was headed back there for my ATV training in the early part of the week, and would be off to Bitter Creek after.

Jeff made for great company as we drove up the twisting roads to Hopper. It had snowed the previous weekend, and the higher we climbed, the more white appeared on the side of the extremely muddy road. At one point, I was convinced we were going to get stuck, the car was fishtailing so badly. But we didn’t.

Back up at Hopper, Jeff and I met up with Darin, and the three of us embarked on an exploratory hike looking for a possible nest cavity.  We didn’t find it (as it would happen, the nest turned out to be on the ridge we were standing on, and could only be viewed from the ridge opposite). 

No comments:

Post a Comment