"So, I'm going to assume that you've mastered the basics of using scissors, correct?" Blake asked me this morning in the office.
I was enlisted to cut out new wing tags for the two hours prior to the Monday meeting. It was soothing, in a mindless kind of way, until the lower joint of my thumb began to protest, having been rubbed raw by the handle of the scissors.
I am most excited about the purple ones.
I drove to Bitter Creek in the afternoon. It was my first time taking the 33 to get there, a route far more scenic than the 5. Also more winding. Along the way, almost to Bitter Creek, I turned onto a side road off the highway as directed by the GPS hits of one of our newly released and very important birds. I say important because Hoi (that is his name) is kinda famous in the condor world. Also important for me to find him since Hoi has never been wild. Captive-hatched in the early 1990s, Hoi has only ever known flight pens. So needless to say, everyone was a little concerned for his well-being. He is kind of the baby of the program, despite his relative old age.
I didn't see Hoi but I signaled him as if he were above me. I did, however, see:
This jackrabbit
These quails
And this weird sign
So it wasn't entirely a wash.

No comments:
Post a Comment