Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Just as I got up to Hopper Peak and settled into my chair for another day of signaling for 326, I overheard radio chatter between members of the search party. They had found the nest. Unfortunately the egg had never hatched, nor would it. But at least now we knew.

My job for the day thus nullified, I drove down to Pole Canyon to do obs on the new nest there. I was planning on staying through sunset, but at around 5:45, I got a radio call from one of the volunteers: he was stuck, his car backed up on the grass on the side of the road. I wasn't sure what I could do, but I nonetheless sprung into action, driving as quickly as was legal. I luckily had rope in the back of the truck, so, hitching his car to mine, I backed up and his car was pulled to safety. I felt pretty manly after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment